VOLUME 6, Number 11
June 24, 1985
Pilkington Glass Ladies Championships
Hana Mandlikova didn’t survived 1st round in Eastbourne to Carina Karlsson from Sweeden.
Although she squandered a 3-1 final set lead to lose 7-5 1-6 6-4 to qualifier Carina Karlsson from Sweden, Mandlikova said she was not upset by her defeat.
It was her first match on grass this year, she said, and she was using the competition as preparation for Wimbledon which begins next Monday.
Mandlikova hit form in the middle of her match against Karlsson winning six straight games to take the second set.
But she stumbled again in the final set and saved four match points before succumbing on the fifth : « There was really nothing I could do I guess » Mandlikova said, « I tried to stay back but she really hit me in the corners with some great passing shots ».
« I was taking this week as preparation for Wimbledon and I should have liked to play a few more games on grass »
Karlsson said : « I played two games in the qualifying rounds and I guess that helped me I think Hana had a hard time concentrating »
(Reports compiled from : Fort Worth Star Telegram)
- PILKINGTON GLASS LADIES CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Eastbourne, UK , June 17-23, 1985
- $150,000 – Grass – Devonshire Park
- singles : seeded #2
- R1 : – Carina Karlsson 5-7, 6-1, 4-6
- doubles : w/ Wendy Turnbull (3)
- R1 : + Carina Karlsson/ Tine Scheuer-Larsen 6-0, 6-4
- R2 : + Heather Ludloff/ Yvonne Vermaak 7-6, 3-6, 6-3
- QF : + Bettina Bunge/ Eva Pfaff 6-1, 1-6, 6-3
- SF : – Kathy Jordan/ Liz Sayers-Smylie 2-6, 7-5, 1-6
Pas encore de lien externe ! :)